If you haven’t been exploring with new sushi recipe, you may want to try sushi with the ingredients that your kid really like.
So, let’s try out sushi with ham! Your kid may like sausages, salami or cheese so you may be adventurous if you want as we’re not serving Japanese today!
There are many types of sushi, and here they are:
- Maki sushi is the seaweed roll with rice and some ingredients in it
- Nigiri sushi is those in rectangular in shape with seafood on top
- Gunkan sushi is also in rectangular usually wearing a seaweed belt and non-seafood
- California roll is the cone shaped sushi
Let’s make maki sushi with ham and here are the ingredients:
- Sushi vinegar
- Sushi rice (short grain rice)
- Seaweed (nori)
- Sushi mat which is only required for maki sushi (rolled sushi)
- Ham (or any ingredients of your kids choice)
Here are the steps in sushi making:
First, cook rice and wait until it cool down and mix in vinegar. This step is crucial as you need to fan while mixing. So both your hands will be busy.
Then, lay your sushi mat and seaweed with the rough side facing top.
Next spread the rice on the seaweed. Remember only cover 3/4 of the seaweed with rice. Leave 1/4 blank for wrapping up. This is the sticky part, so you may want to use disposable gloves or a spoon to do the job.
Next, place your favorite (or my favorite) ham and pork floss on top.
Excitement time, let’s roll 3/4 and stop. LIFT UP about 3cm the sushi mat and fold it back, so that you can complete the rolling.
re-roll and press it firmly and ensure the square shape is formed.
Lastly, brush your shape knife with some vinegar before cutting the roll. This would ensure that there wouldn’t be rice sticking on your knife.
Besides wasabi, this goes well with the Japanese mayonnaise. Go explore.